Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Seattle: Mariners 4, Rangers 3



Well, I did it. All 30 stadiums in 31 days, and I missed only one game -- the rainout in Cleveland early in my trip. It was certainly an exhausting trip and despite my enthusiasm about the trip I most likely would not have been able to complete it on my own and am therefore very thankful that Steve, Todd, and Rachael all took time out to accompany me on their respective legs on the trip.

The game was a great ending to my trip for me... it featured a powerful, although wild, Felix Hernandez, a comeback win for the Mariners, and ,most memorable for me, what might have been Ken Griffey Junior's final game of his career. The crowd was unbelievably emotional for each at-bat, and the place went nuts when he singled in his final time to the plate in the 8th inning. Griffey was replaced with a pinch-runner and was given a 2-minute ovation as he walked to the dugout and came back out to salute the crowd. I've never been to a game with that type of underlying meaning and it was awesome and emotional for me to see a great send-off to a player that I've respected all of his career, even through that 2-month period I cursed his name after he scored the winning run to knock out the Yankees in the '95 playoffs.

The ballpark in Seattle is definitely has all of the elements of a top ballpark for me and will most likely end up in my top-10 list when all is said and done. I will be compiling rankings of the different ballparks for different criteria, and if you have any suggestions please forward them on to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment